Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Deja Vu all over again

I feel like I've been here before, and before, and before.

Layout plans have been done and have been started, and have been abandoned so many times I think my friends over at NScale.net are probably getting tired. 

Lets see.  Started one in the garage.  Interrupted by heat and raising kids.  Started one in Sun Room.  Interrupted by raising kids, oh and heat.  Started another one in sun room.  Interrupted because kids room became available when he moved out.  Started one in kids room, got bench work completed on a Friday night, looking forward to starting track work on that Sunday.  Saturday, kid announces he has to move back in.  My first thought was if I could fit a cot under the bench work.  Wife put a quash on that thought.  Started again in the sun room.  Interrupted by the next thought.  And this one looks like it's going to be the final start.

Ok, so realistically what has stopped the progress.  Early on it was baseball, gymnastics, tennis.  I love watching the kids play sports and it has always taken higher priority.  And though I don't much care for most people, I am a social animal.  Stuck in the garage or sunroom with the rest of the family in the house was really not the way I wanted to spend my evenings.  It's been hard to do the hobby solo.  Despite having lots of friends on forums across the world, I really would prefer to have some buddies to interact with.  Thus the previous post on clubs.  So with the kids grown and in college or living their life's, they aren't here.  Wife has her horses, so she's got stuff on the weekends.  And with a club to participate in, and to have come visit, I think (hope, pray, etc) that the stars are aligned, and progress will be made.

Oh Kay, so whats next.  I got the ok from the CEO to buy a new storage shed that I can turn into a man cave/train room.  The shed below is the one I picked.  It's been ordered and will be installed Friday.  My plan is to install wiring, lights, AC, insulation and sheet rock.  This will be, finally, MY SPACE. 


The shed is 10' X 12' with a 4' porch.  Not the biggest I could have put on the property, but 120 sf is the largest I can do without dealing with the county and the permit process.  That process would probably add $1,000 to the cost of the project.  It also puts money into the county coffers, which I prefer not to do.

Having the shed dimensions I can at least start planning.  The track plan below was done in AnyRail.  (more on AnyRail in another blog post later).  The over all dimensions are there.  The dark black exterior line represents the thickness of the walls.  There's a 4" set back for all the track to make sure there is enough room for scenery between track and walls.  The rest kind of speaks for it self. 



 
So the shed is getting installed (built in place) on Friday.  I'll post the construction progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment